Get Affordable Car Insurance For Suspended License
A driver’s license suspension is when the driver is not allowed to drive for a certain time. The rules for license suspension vary from state to state.
Depending on the state you are living in, some regulations may differ. For example, some states do issue limited license suspensions. If a driver’s license has suspended, they can still drive to and from work and in medical emergencies.
License suspension can be due to driving-related, finance-related, or other reasons. License suspension happens for several reasons:
- Driving without insurance
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Not paying traffic tickets
- Failing to meet financial obligations resulting from an accident
Note that license suspension is a temporary revocation of driving privileges. It is because of various traffic violations and non-compliance with driving-related regulations.
One important thing to note here is that license suspension is not the same as a revoked license. If a license gets suspended, it means the driver is not eligible to drive for some duration. But, license revoke is when it gets canceled.
Can I Get Car Insurance With A Suspended License?
The answer is yes, you can get car insurance with a suspended license. Another question that may come to your mind is, do you need car insurance after a suspended license?
Again, the answer is yes. It’s good to have car insurance when your driving license gets suspended.
You might need car insurance due to any of the following reasons:
- Getting the license instated
- Eligibility for a restricted license,
- Requirements by the loan company
Another thing is, it’s not a good idea to have gaps between the insurance coverage. When there’s a gap, insurance companies view drivers with coverage gaps as high risks. The reason is, such drivers were already without any coverage for a certain period of time.
As a result, the cost you will have to bear due to coverage gaps will be on the higher side. How much exactly the car insurance can cost you due to the coverage gap depends on your reason for the gap.
Having car insurance is important because due to legal requirements. So no matter whether your license gets suspended or revoked, it is always good to have car insurance.
Note that not all insurance companies will insure someone with a suspended license. Some companies may provide, but they will classify you as a high-risk driver. While you can get insurance with a suspended license, the premium is going to be quite high.
4 Important Guidelines To Get Cheap Car Insurance For Suspended License
It’s never easy to find a company that provides auto insurance for suspended driver’s license when you have been convicted for a DUI/DWI offense or some other serious traffic violation. An expert’s guidance may prove to be worthwhile in getting your driver’s license reinstated. Although there are options to get out of the awkward situation, it can involve huge expenses. Some non-standard car insurance providers may agree to extend short term coverage by charging high premiums. However, it is possible to save some money during your overall effort for driving car legally on road until reinstatement of your driver’s license.
To that effect, if you are in search of low cost auto insurance quote suspended license quote, you may take the following aspects into consideration
- Compare multiple free quotes : The key for finding the cheapest suspended license driver’s car insurance is extensive comparison shopping. The task of comparing free quotes offered by multiple local insurers can be exhaustive but it will be less rigorous as well as hassle-free if you get assisted by a specialist,
- Inquire about premium discounts : Affordable car insurance for suspended drivers could be easier to get if you qualify for a hugely discounted package. Insurers provide an array of premium discounts to eligible drivers; you can check your qualification for the same. This way you can save hundreds of dollars.
- Add your name to spouse’s policy : If you get your name added to your spouse’s auto insurance cover after your driver’s license is suspended, you may not have to purchase separate coverage to drive car legally on road. Your spouse is primary driver on the policy and you secondary driver.
- Few other vital things to consider : You may wonder, “Can you get auto insurance with a suspended license?” but such a proposal is a perfect possibility. Insurers may even offer premium discounts for driving safer cars but it could be much better if you drive vehicles that are less expensive.
Explore Your Reasons For Getting Car Insurance With A Suspended License
There could be 4 major reasons for which your driver’s license may be suspended. These might be as mentioned below.
You have been convicted for DUI or DWI offense due to which your license is under suspension and you are required to get it reinstated.
You refused to take an alcohol test by traffic inspector following which your driver’s license has been put under suspension.
You have fled accident site after your car got involved in one or shied away from filing police complaint post collision resulting in license suspension.
Getting indulged in reckless driving practices or excessive speeding or not responding to court summons for violating traffic rules & regulations can also lead to your driver’s license being suspended.
Ways To Get Affordable Car Insurance Quotes Despite A Suspended License
Worried about your suspended license and finding ways to get cheap car insurance with it? Not all insurance companies insure people with suspended licenses. But, there are some ways one can get it.
A suspended license will classify you as a high-risk driver, so fewer companies will bear the risk. And, companies that do insure people with suspended license charge a premium.
So, here’s how to get car insurance with a suspended license:
- Apply for hardship/restricted license : The best way to get car insurance with a suspended license is through a hardship or a restricted license.A restricted license increases the chances that an insurance company will insure you. On the flip side, with a suspended license majority of the companies won’t insure. You need to check if you are eligible for a restricted license.
- Comparing quotes : Another good way is by comparing quotes from different insurance companies. There are so many insurance companies out there, but very few provide insurance. What you can do is, get quotes from various insurance companies, and compare their quotes.
- Get SR-22 insurance : If the reason for license suspension is a rules violation, you will need SR-22 insurance. Violations may include driving under the influence of drugs or without insurance. SR-22 is the certificate that says you have car insurance meeting the coverage need.
Can Car Insurance Companies See If Your License Has Suspended?
The answer is yes. Car insurance companies do have access to your driving record. They can check whether your license has suspended or revoked. Your driving record contains information like any traffic violations, accidents, and license suspensions.
When the license gets suspended or revoked, the insurance company gets informed. It helps companies to assess the level of risk associated with insuring you.
A suspended license tells that you have violated traffic rules. As a result, it classifies you as a high-risk driver for the insurance company.
That’s why, the company may issue a cancellation notice or nonrenewal insurance policy to you. Each company has different policies, so it depends on the company you have selected. There are also companies that offer exclusions. It means the insurance policy gets continued. But, you have to sign a form that mentions it won’t cover you in case you get into an accident.
Note that each insurance company has a different set of rules around it. Check with your insurance company to understand their approach to driving license suspension.
How Much Does Car Insurance Go Up After A License Suspension?
How much exactly the car insurance will go up depends on two main aspects. These include the reason for suspension and the insurance company’s policies.
In general, insurance rates go up after a license suspension. That’s due to the risk associated with insuring a driver who has had their license suspended.
The car insurance rate will increase regardless of which state you are from. In some states, the prices go up by around 47%, while in some states, the prices go up even more than that. For example, in Hawaii, car insurance price goes up by 261% after a license suspension.
Again, it also depends on your insurance company. Depending on the policies, the pricing before & after license suspension would be different. For example, State Farm’s pricing rises 213% due to license suspension. Geico’s pricing goes up by 71% due to license suspension. Progressive’s pricing goes up by 106% due to license suspension, and so on.
Since license suspension makes you a high-risk driver, most companies charge excessive premiums. But, if you want to get cheap car insurance for a suspended license, there are some options. Some ways to get it cheap: restricted license, comparing quotes, and SR-22 insurance.
The Importance Of Car Insurance Even With A Suspended License
- Avoid penalties : The exact rules differ based on state you are living in. In some states, it is mandatory to insure even if you don’t drive the car. It’s a legal need for all vehicles; no matter whether the driver has a valid license or not. Driving without insurance can lead to severe penalties, fines, and legal consequences.
- To avoid gaps in coverage : Another reason you want to consider getting car insurance is to avoid gaps in coverage. Maintaining continuous car insurance coverage can prevent a coverage gap. Insurance companies view drivers with coverage gaps as high risks. The cost you will bear due to coverage gaps will be high. Thus, make sure to maintain the policy throughout the year without creating gaps.
- To get a hardship/restricted license : A hardship or restricted license allows one to drive to specified locations. For example, it can be helpful when you want to drive to work or to school. Note that, it does need you to have car insurance as well as an SR-22 certificate.
- For protection : Car insurance provides coverage for your vehicle in case of damage or theft, no matter who is driving it. If your vehicle is not insured, you have to bear the expenses of repairs or replacement on your own. It includes damage due to weather condition, accident, or any other reasons.
- Loan agreement : Having auto insurance with a suspended license fulfills the requirements of loan agreement. Let’s say, if have taken a car loan, the contract will need insurance. It doesn’t matter whether the driver’s license is active, suspended, or revoked.Insurance companies may have different policies and rates for drivers with suspended licenses. Be honest about your license status when getting insurance quotes. This would help to get accurate information and the right coverage.
Here Are Important FAQs
Yes, any licensed driver other than you can drive your car even if your driver’s license is suspended. But you must just make sure that your car’s registration and insurance coverage is valid or else the other driver might be penalized by traffic inspector, if caught, while driving your vehicle without coverage or registration. It will only invite new trouble for you and can cause additional dent on your finances.
Yes, you can get auto insurance coverage even if your spouse’s driver license is under suspension. However, in such a situation, it could be desirable to buy a new separate car insurance policy in your name rather than have joint car cover with your spouse. This is because when your spouse’s driver license is under suspension, keeping the name of your spouse on one policy will affect the insurance rates in a big way. In fact, most insurers will charge substantially high premium.
Yes, the driver’s license will still be considered although it has been suspended but it is subject to some specific conditions. You, as a driver, must satisfy certain legal requirements to get your driver’s license reinstated. But the process for reinstatement of suspended driver’s is a complex one and so, you may have to hire the services of a knowledgeable and experienced local attorney who is well versed with the exact type of paperwork that is required to be prepared and furnished to the DMV.
Your driver’s can be suspended for a number of reasons that include DUI/DWI conviction, conviction for indulging in reckless driving practices on road, multiple accidents or traffic tickets on your driving record or even a gap in your car coverage. If you aren’t aware about your driver’s license suspension, you can check the status of your driving report with the state’s DMV.
The General Insurance and GEICO are two leading companies that are known for providing the best auto insurance coverage to drivers which are considered to be high risk propositions among drivers. But as drivers with poor driving records or DUI/DWI convictions are risky propositions to insure, the premiums charged will be substantially high as they are more likely to file claims.
Yes, you can get your driver license suspension reduced if you are a first time offender. When your driver license is suspended for the very first time in your life then you have the chance to get license suspension period reduced from 120 days to 60 days. Talk to an expert to know more!
About The Author
Andy Walker is a freelance content writer who specializes in writing for insurance and finance related niches. He has years of experience in this field and has written extensively on a variety of topics. Andy’s work is always highly polished and well-researched, ensuring that his clients are always happy with the results.