ALIAS Insurance

How does car insurance cover hit-and-runs?
Last Updated on February 27, 2024 by admin

Important Points:

  • A hit-and-run is when someone crashes into a car, person, or thing and then leaves without giving their contact or insurance info.
  • If this happens to you, collision insurance and uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for fixing your car.
  • Your insurance rates may not go up right away, but the hit-and-run claim will be on your record, and having a lot of claims can make your rates higher.
  • Nobody wants a car accident, but if it happens, you hope the other driver stays to share info. If they don’t, things get more complicated.

Extra Info:

  • There’s no special insurance just for hit-and-run situations. However, regular car insurance coverages can still help with the costs if the other driver is never found.

What is a hit-and-run?

A hit-and-run is like a car accident where someone crashes into a car, person, or stuff and then takes off without stopping.

It can happen when you’re in your car, like if someone runs a stop sign, hits your car, and then speeds away. Or it can happen when your car is parked, and someone hits it without you even being there.

The damage from a hit-and-run can be small, like a few dents, or big, like wrecking your whole car or causing injuries.

Normally, if it’s the other driver’s fault, their insurance would help pay for things like fixing your car or medical bills. But if they dash off without leaving their info, you might have to pay for everything yourself.

Remember, hit-and-runs are against the law. Usually, they’re seen as not too serious unless someone gets hurt. If that happens, the runaway driver could get in big trouble.

Does car insurance cover hit-and-run accidents?

Certain kinds of car insurance can help you out if you’re in a hit-and-run. But here’s the catch – you need to have these types of coverage listed in your insurance plan before the accident happens.

To be sure you’re covered, take a look at your car insurance policy. Check if it includes the right kinds of coverage for situations like hit-and-runs. It’s always good to know what your insurance can help with in case something like that ever occurs.

CoverageCovered ExpensesDeductible
Collision coverageVehicle repairs or replacements.Yes
Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD)Vehicle repairs or replacements.Typically
Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI)Accident-related medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and funeral expenses.Typically not
Medical payments (MedPay)Accident-related medical expenses for you and your passengers.Typically not
Personal injury protection (PIP)Accident-related medical expenses, lost wages, funeral expenses, replacement services, and survivor benefits.Varies by state

Collision insurance

Collision coverage is a type of car insurance that you can choose to have. It helps pay for fixing your car or getting a new one if it got damaged in a crash with another car or something else, even if the accident wasn’t your fault.

Now, if the driver who hit you and ran away can’t be found, you can still get help. You can tell your insurance about it, and they’ll pay for the repairs, but there’s a catch. You’ll need to pay a bit of money first, called a deductible, before your insurance helps with the rest. Just something to keep in mind!

Uninsured motorist 

If you’re in a hit-and-run, and the driver can’t be found, you might still get help through something called “uninsured motorist coverage.” There are two kinds:

  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD):
    • This helps when the person who caused the accident doesn’t have insurance. It can also cover damages from a hit-and-run in some places.
    • Sometimes, you might need to pay a bit first (it’s called a deductible) before this coverage kicks in.
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UMBI):
    • This one takes care of medical bills and lost wages if you or your passengers get hurt in a hit-and-run.
    • Usually, you won’t have to pay a deductible for this type of coverage.

So, depending on where you live and what your insurance says, these coverages could be handy if someone hits your car and takes off.

Medical payments 

Ever heard of MedPay? It’s short for medical payments coverage. This is like a superhero for injuries that happen in a car accident, no matter whose fault it is – even in a hit-and-run!

So, if you or your buddies get hurt, MedPay steps in to help with medical bills. The cool part? You don’t have to pay anything upfront, which is called a deductible.

But here’s the thing: MedPay usually comes in smaller amounts, like $1,000 to $5,000. It’s like having a little extra safety net to make sure everyone gets the care they need after a bumpy ride.

Personal injury protection

Guess what? There’s another superhero in the insurance world, and it’s called PIP – short for personal injury protection. Just like MedPay, PIP is here to help if you or your family get hurt in a car accident, no matter whose fault it is.

Now, PIP goes beyond just medical bills. It also helps out with other stuff if you’re injured. Things like:

  • Lost Wages: If you can’t work because of the accident.
  • Funeral Expenses: In case something really serious happens.
  • Survivor Benefits: For your family if something bad occurs.
  • Replacement Services: Like childcare or cleaning help, if your injuries make it tough to do those things.

Here’s a heads-up: PIP might have a deductible, which is like a small amount you might need to pay, depending on where you live. But some places say there can’t be a deductible for PIP. So, it really depends on the rules in your state.

Steps to take after a hit-and-run accident

Okay, so if you’re ever in a hit-and-run, here are some simple things you can do to handle it. Keep in mind, these tips depend on where it happens and how bad it is, and whether there are people with you in the car.
  • Check for Safety First:
    • See if you or anyone in the car is hurt. If yes, call 911 right away!
    • If you’re stuck in traffic, move to the side of the road safely. If not, get out of the car carefully and find a safe spot.
  • Call the Police:
    • Always call the police, even if everyone is okay. They’ll make a report that you’ll need for your insurance claim.
  • Get Information:
    • Besides the police report, try to remember what the car and driver looked like. Take pictures of your car and note when, where, and what time the hit-and-run happened.
  • Tell Your Insurance Company:
    • Contact your car insurance folks as soon as you can. Make sure your policy covers hit-and-runs and start the claim process. This helps speed up fixing your car or getting a new one.
Remember, it’s important to stay calm, stay safe, and follow these steps to make things easier after a hit-and-run.

How a hit-and-run insurance claim works

Alright, let’s talk about getting things sorted after a hit-and-run. It depends on the types of coverage you have in your car insurance.

If there’s damage to your car, these coverages can help:

  • Collision Insurance: This covers your car repairs.
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: This helps if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.

If there are injuries, these coverages kick in:

  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: Covers injuries from the hit-and-run.
  • Personal Injury Protection: Helps with medical stuff.
  • Medical Payments: Takes care of medical bills.

When you tell your insurance about the hit-and-run, they’ll explain your coverage, any money you have to pay upfront (deductibles), and the steps to make a claim. They’ll also let you know if you have any benefits like getting a rental car.

The insurance folks will tell you when an adjuster will check your car and estimate the repairs. If there are injuries, make sure to give them any papers from the hospital.

Feel free to call your insurance anytime during this process to check how things are going, share more info, or ask questions.

Once everything’s sorted, your insurance will send you a check, minus any money you had to pay at the beginning. It’s like getting things back in order after a tricky situation.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What Happens to Your Insurance After a Hit-and-Run?

So, if you have to make a claim because of a hit-and-run, you might wonder if your car insurance will cost more afterward. Well, it can, but it depends on your insurance company and where you live.

Some insurance companies might not raise your rate because they know it wasn’t your fault. But others might decide to increase it. The best thing to do is talk to your insurance people about how a hit-and-run claim could affect how much you pay.

If you find out your insurance will cost more, you can check out other insurance options. Get quotes from at least three different companies – that way, you can find the one that won’t hit your wallet too hard. It’s like shopping around for the best deal!

What Happens if Someone Hits Your Parked Car and Takes Off?

If your parked car gets hit and the driver zooms away, your insurance can step in to help with the damage. There are two kinds that can cover this:

  • Collision Insurance:
    • This helps pay for fixing your car after a hit-and-run. But here’s the catch: you might need to pay a bit first, and that’s called a deductible.
  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) Insurance:
    • This can also help if you don’t have collision coverage, but not all states offer it.

When you tell your insurance about the hit-and-run, they’ll sort out the repairs, but remember, you might need to pitch in a bit with your deductible. It’s like teamwork between you and your insurance to get your car back in shape.

Will Full Coverage Insurance Help if Someone Hits and Runs?

Alright, let’s break it down. If you’ve got full coverage car insurance, it’s probably got your back if someone hits your car and takes off. Full coverage is like having a bunch of different protections all rolled into one.

So, why does it help in a hit-and-run? Well, it’s like this:

  • Liability Insurance: This is the basic stuff the state says you need, and full coverage has it.
  • Comprehensive Coverage: It’s in there too. This part handles things like theft, natural disasters, and, yep, hit-and-runs.
  • Collision Insurance: This is the hero that steps in if your car gets messed up after bumping into something or someone else.

So, if a hit-and-run messes with your car, your full coverage insurance is there to save the day – fixing things up or getting you a new ride. It’s like having a trusty sidekick in the world of car troubles.

Andy Walker

Andy Walker is a freelance content writer who specializes in writing for insurance and finance related niches. He has years of experience in this field and has written extensively on a variety of topics. Andy's work is always highly polished and well-researched, ensuring that his clients are always happy with the results.